- Top 5 Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Boards Comparison
- Things You Should Know
- What to Look for When Purchasing a SUP Board
- The Benefits of Inflatable Boards
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 5 Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Boards Comparison
Things You Should Know
Over the last few years, paddle boarding has become a popular cross-training activity. It is one of the most relaxing water sports in the world for a good reason. It offers a full-body workout, lot of fun and most importantly, anyone can practice this water sport because it is extremely easy to learn. With a minimum of gear, anyone can paddle ocean surf, rivers and lakes. However, choosing a paddle board can be challenging and a bit confusing as there are hundreds of models available on the market.
Types of paddle boards
These days, paddle boards come in different sizes and shapes. Most of them are made of epoxy and fiberglass. Stand up paddle boards usually measure from 8 to 12 feet in length, 4 to 5 inches thick and 28 to 32 inches wide. If you are just starting out, it’s recommended to start with a longer, wider and thicker board, because these models will provide more stability. As you gain experience, you will be able to try smaller boards. Before selecting your first paddle board, it’s quite important to know the difference between each model.
Inflatable SUPs :
- The inflatable stand up paddle boards are the most portable and easy to carry boards.
- When deflated, they have the size of a sleeping bag.
- Compared to epoxy boards, the inflatable boards are more durable.
All around SUPs :
- This is the most common paddleboard shape.
- The all around SUPs work incredibly in all conditions.
- They are friendly and perfect for beginners.
- Surf SUPs are specially designed for those surfers who want more action.
- This is a perfect choice for beginner to advanced paddlers.
- Compared to all around boards, these models are less stable on the water.
- Specially designed for surf and flat water.
- The touring boards are ideal for advanced paddlers who want to experience long distances in flat water.
- They are built with efficiency and maximum glide in mind.
- Compared to other models the touring boards are wider and more stable.
- Perfect stand up paddle boarders for beginners.
- Great option for those people who love fishing, but they don’t want to purchase a boat or kayak.
- These types of boards have the most volume, so you have enough space to move around the board.
- They provide stability when paddling and casting.
- Longer, wider and thicker than other models.
- Designed for Yoga, Pilates, flat water paddling or any fitness related exercise.
- They are extremely comfortable and stable.
- More resistant than other models.
- Perfect choice for advanced surfers.
- Specially designed for water races and ocean competitors.
- Extra width and length make them much faster than other models.
What size board do you need?
What is the difference between inflatable and epoxy stand up paddle board?
Easy to carry and store
They are softer and gentle on the feet
Inflatable boards deliver stability
What to Look for When Purchasing a SUP Board
There are countless types of paddle boards on the market, today, so choosing an inflatable board can be a bit confusing. Therefore, before making a purchase, you have to take into account several things. Keep on reading the following lines and choose a stand-up paddle board that meets your requirements.
As outlined above, there are so many different boards available in the market, that is so difficult to choose the right model for your needs. Therefore, in order to find out what size board suits you, take into consideration your weight and paddle boarding experience. Also, the volume of the board is very important. The longer, thicker and wider the stand-up paddle board, the more volume and stability it will have. Most beginners use boards with more volume because they provide stability and are able to support more weight. However, when your skills and balance will improve, you will be able to perform on a paddleboard with less volume.
Once you have decided what size of board you want, have a look at two different paddle boards, such inflated and epoxy model and decide what type do you want. There are many differences between these two models. However, this choice really depends on your budget and transportation options. In what regards the performance and the quality of these different models, epoxy boards surpass inflatable models. For first-time paddlers and intermediate riders, the inflatable model is a perfect choice as it works great in all conditions. On the other hand, if you are an experienced paddler and looking for speed and flexibility the epoxy paddleboard might be right for you. When it comes to transportation and storage, it’s important to know that the inflatable models are effortless to carry and store than the epoxy boards. When deflated, the inflatable boards have the size of a sleeping bed, while the epoxy SUPs are more difficult to transport and they usually require a large vehicle or a special strap for the car. Furthermore, it’s important to understand the fact that the inflatable models are great for people short on space. They can be deflated and stored anywhere compared to the epoxy models which require space for a 9+foot paddle board.
Purchasing an inflatable SUP is a great investment and the last thing you want is to buy a board that is not as good as you expected. That’s why, in order to stay assured that you are buying a paddle board which will definitely meet all your requirement have a look at its warranty. Some manufacturers provide a 2 -year limited warranty, while others will offer a 60-day warranty with the possibility to try it for 30 days. If you don’t like it, you can send it back and get another one or receive all your money back.
The Benefits of Inflatable Boards
Stand up paddle boarding is one of the most popular and relaxing water sports due to the fact that any person can learn how to perform it in relatively short time. Paddle boarding is a great outdoor activity and an amazing way to spend your time with family and friends. However, paddle boarding can be done using an inflatable board. Keep on reading the following lines to find out more benefits of using an inflatable SUP board.
The main reason to buy an inflatable board is that it is easier to transport and store. The fact that they don’t need a roof rack to be transported, make these models very desirable. When deflated, these SUP boards can easily fit into your car as they are not larger than 1 foot in diameter and around 32 inches wide. With their cylinder shape, they can easily be stored at your or in your board. Some models come with a strap that allows you to tie the rolled up cylinder to a bicycle.
Whether or not the deck pad on the board is good, the air that is inside the board will cushion your feet, making you feel more comfortable than you will feel with a hard board. When inflated, these boards are very rigid and solid. However, they are softer than other paddle boards. If it hits you, you won’t be hurt or get knocked out. Furthermore, they are more resistant. They have much better resistance to damage so you won’t see any cracks or nicks on it. The inflatable boards are also very easy to maintain. Therefore, when it is time for a cleanup, you just have to use water and mild soap.
As you probably know, inflatable boards are usually used by beginners and intermediate paddles, so they have to be extremely stable. The larger and thicker the board, the more stable it is. Of all the dimensions, keep in mind that the thickness is the most important. If you are interested in buying an inflatable stand up paddle board, make sure that the board is more than six inches thick because those boards with less than 6 inches thick are hard to balance.